County Board minutes: Safety committee
September 14, 2012, By Pam Meagher, The Safety Committee Meeting was held st the Logan County Courthouse on
September 10, 2012.
Present: Jan Schumacher; Alana Sorrentino; Shana Bean; Bret Aukamp (10:41 am); Dan Fulscher; Dennis Reves; Mary Kelley
Absent: Andy Meister; Pat O’Neill; Steve Nichols; Bob Farmer; Mike Harberts; Marci Eads; Julie Parker; Vicki Dugan.
Mrs. Schumacher called the meeting to order at 10:10 am.
A motion was made by Mr. Reves, seconded by Ms. Bean, to approve the minutes from the July 9, 2012 meeting as printed. Motion passed.
1) Fire inspections: The City fire department performed an inspection, at the County’s request, when the County was considering a policy on space heaters. At that time, they completed a full inspection and have several items that need attention at this time. The inspector had concerns about not having clear access to the west door in the event of an emergency. He suggested the partitions in that hall be moved so the “jog” is as wide as the doors are. Mr. Reves will discuss this with the Sheriff. The remaining issues surrounded emergency exit lighting in the courtrooms and corridors. Mr. Reves provided information on the lighted exit signs. They cost approximately $60 each, not including required electrical work. We would need to purchase five (three for the third floor courtrooms doors and one for each of the other courtrooms). The committee also discussed replacement ballasts that can be installed in the fluorescent fixtures in the third floor corridors that would provide backup lighting in the event of a power outage. The first and second floors have conventional ceiling fan/light fixtures, so these particular ballasts would not work in those areas. The committee contacted Mr. Miller and he advised he would research other options for backup lighting for the second and third floor corridors. Mr. Reves will obtain an estimate from an electrician for installation work for the emergency exit lights. A request for funds will be presented to the Building & Grounds committee in October to determine if they have funding available to contribute to this project. Otherwise, the safety grant funding that was originally planned for the purchase of UPS units would have to be used for this purpose. A motion was made by Mr. Fulscher, seconded by Mr. Reves, to approve the purchase of the courtroom exit lighting and replacement ballasts for the third floor out of the Safety Grant funding, in the event Building & Grounds does not provide funding for this purpose. Motion passed. Lighting in the corridors on the first and second floor will be discussed again at the November Safety meeting. The fire inspection also had concerns with the use of extension cords and space heaters. The extension cord concern would be resolved with the purchase of UPS units. The space heater policy had been developed previously, but was not passed without input from the fire inspection. The committee agreed the policy should include the requirement that “the unit must be out of the flow of foot traffic”. A motion was made by Ms. Bean, seconded by Mr. Reves, to approve the space heater policy, as amended. Motion passed.
2) Safety manual: The first draft of the proposed safety manual was distributed for review. Discussion took place regarding the process that takes place in the event of any incident involving property damage or bodily injury. Mrs. Meagher will review and provide suggestions for revision of pages 17 through 19 for the November meeting. Discussion also took place about language regarding who should be notified following a security breach or vandalism, since the Sheriff has jurisdiction over the Courthouse and Safety Complex, but the City of Lincoln would have jurisdiction at other locations. The language will be changed to read “Notify law enforcement in the event of security breach or vandalism. The Logan County Sheriff is responsible for security in the Courthouse or Safety Complex.”
3) Safety grant: The usage of these funds is on hold until purchases required from the fire inspection are resolved.
4) Training: The Highway Department has recommended training scheduled for October. Additional training will be scheduled in the spring.
1) Active shooter training: Ms. Bean identified a link to a video for “active shooter training”. The link will be shared with all committee members, who should plan to watch the video prior to the November meeting. The video will be discussed at that meeting and a decision will be made on whether to share this video with all employees. Sheriff Nichols will also be consulted to discuss if this information should be provided in future training.
A motion was made by Mr. Aukamp, seconded by Mr. Fulscher, to adjourn the meeting. Motion passed. Meeting ended at 11:15 am. The next meeting will be held on Monday, November 5th at 10:00 am.