County Board minutes: Building and Grounds
September 13, 2012, By Pam Meagher, The Building and Grounds Committee Meeting was held at the Logan County Safety Complex on September 4, 2012
Present: Bill Martin; Bob Farmer; Jan Schumacher; Pat O’Neill; Andy Meister; Kevin Bateman
Mr. Martin called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.
A motion was made by Mr. Bateman, seconded by Mr. Farmer, to approve the minutes from the August 7, 2012 meeting. Motion passed.
1) Courthouse phone system: Mr. Martin reported he has still not received additional information on this proposal. He will contact Frontier to attempt to obtain information prior to the October meeting.
2) Sidewalk repairs: Mr. Martin indicated he was forced to reschedule the site visit.
3) Landscaping for courthouse grounds: Mrs. Schumacher reported the City is waiting to hear from the consultant before moving forward. Mr. Bateman discussed complaints he received regarding the stumps and dead trees on the Courthouse grounds. He received feedback from Russell Wright of the city streets department. They would be willing to grind the stumps out, if Dennis can prepare the area by removing the rings and ensuring electricity is shut off and lines are marked. Mr. Martin will contact Dennis to coordinate this effort. Mr. Bateman also suggested the landscaping plan include something to address the large electrical box on the grounds across from the Post Office.
4) Veteran names in Courthouse: Mr. Martin indicated he was approached about placing military recruiting materials in the Courthouse, since recruiters don’t have a strong presence elsewhere in Logan County. Mr. Bateman reported there are pamphlets present in the pamphlet rack in the rotunda.
5) Illinois Energy Now – Rebate Program: Mrs. Schumacher reported nothing additional needs to take place on this item.
1) County office cleaning expense: Mrs. Schumacher reported on recent Finance Committee discussion regarding the cleaning expense of the John Logan Building. Currently, that expense comes out of the Building and Grounds budget and the expense is $75 per week. Other County offices pay their cleaning expenses out of their own budgets and their expense runs $25 weekly. Mr. Bateman suggested the Assessor’s office be responsible for their own cleaning expense since all other departments pay their own cleaning expense. A motion was made by Mr. Bateman, seconded by Mr. O’Neill, to require the Assessor’s Office pay the cleaning expense for their location out of their own budget. Motion and second withdrawn. A motion to amend was made by Mr. Bateman, seconded by Mr. O’Neill, to require the Assessor’s Office pay $25 weekly for cleaning with Building and Grounds paying the remaining $50 per week, until such time as the Regional Office of Education vacates the property. Motion to amend and second withdrawn. At that time, the Assessor’s Office would then be responsible for the entire cost of cleaning. Mr. O’Neill asked whether a contract for the cleaning of that office exists. Mr. Farmer recommended researching for the existence of a contract for these cleaning services. The committee agreed to discuss this further in October after researching for any contracts. Mr. Martin will meet with Rosanne to discuss the topic.
1) Request by Ashley Cleary for handicap accessible equipment at County parks: Ms. Cleary was not present for this meeting. Mr. Bateman agreed this should be done but questioned where the funds would come from. Mrs. Schumacher indicated she thought this was addressed when the current equipment was placed in Scully Park. She will look into this issue further.
The committee discussed the need to request bids for snow removal. This committee will meet briefly prior to the September Board of Whole meeting, at 6:45 p.m., for the purpose of voting to request bids for snow removal.
Report from Dennis Reves: Mr. Reves was not present to provide a report.
Budget Review: No concerns.
A motion was made by Mr. Bateman, seconded by Mr. Farmer, to approve the bills. Motion passed.
A motion was made by Mr. Bateman, seconded by Mrs. Schumacher, to adjourn the meeting until September 13, 2012 at 6:45 p.m. Motion passed. Meeting ended at 7:54 pm.